- Listen carefully to what they want to read, be it comics or manga, and purchase what they ask for within guidelines. Get over providing only "good literature" and give them what they'll pick up and read.
- Provide especially topics boys want to read... examples shared include military topics, super hero series, 'look and find' series, Star Wars readers and old standards like Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes.
- Have enough copies (as many as 4-5) to fill the demand in order to take advantage of the enthusiasm from peer sharing when a new bestseller hits the shelves.
- Help them identify their reading level so their reading experience is successful. Methods include the 5 finger approach and the AR program.
- Make the book displays enticing, the library inviting.
- Group the books by genre to make it easy for them to find what they want.